Ike's Trout Candy
Click to Magnify
Ike's Trout Candy is a pattern found on You Tube and is tied by Defiance Outfitters. It is a good pattern to fish in faster water as the bead head and wire body gives it a litte weight. It is also a good fly to fish as the first fly on a two fly rig.
- Up -
|Hook:||Scud/Pupa sizes 12-20
|Body:||Green and Black wire sized to fly
|Bead:||Gold tungsten sized to fly
|Thorax:||Black Peacock Ice Dubbing
|Wing Case:||Dark turkey tail fibers
- Up -
- Mount the bead on the hook.
- Place the hook in the vice and make several wraps of lead wire that will slide into the bead with several wraps to identify the thorax area.
- Start the thread and secure the lead behind the bead. Lay a base of thread down the shank around the bend.
- Mount two black goose biots for the tail. Bring the thread back to a point behand the lead wire.
- Mount a strand of green and a strand of black wire securing it to the bend. Bring the thread back to a point behind the bead.
- Wrap the wire forward so that you have a segmented look. Secure the wire behind the eye and twist off the end.
- Mount the turkey tail fibers in front of the wire over the lead.
- Dub a thorax area with the black peacock ice dubbing.
- Bring the turkey fibers over the ice dubbing to form the wing pad.
- Make several wraps to secure the turkey fibers. Clip the fibers, whip-finish and cut the thread. Add a drop of head cement, if desired.