Pat's Rubber Legs
Click to Magnify
Pat’s Rubber Legs, Jimmy Legs, The Turd, The Pickle, Cat Poo, etc… Call it what you want, this fly is one of the most effective trout flies that exist. The pattern is effective because of its simplicity and realistic appearance. Since stoneflies take up to three years to mature it can be fished in various sizes and colors. Pat Bennett was the originator of this pattern.
- Up -
|Hook:||A 3XL or 4X nymph in sizes 4 - 12
|Thread:||Color of body
|Weight:||Lead or nonlead wire sized to the hook
|Tail:||Rubber Legs or Uni-Flexx colored to body color
|Body:||Variegated chennille (Black/brown most popular)
|Antenna:||Rubber Legs or Uni-Flexx colored to body color
|Legs:||Rubber Legs or Uni-Flexx colored to body color
- Up -
- Mount the hook in the vise and lay a base layer of thread the length of the shank.
- Tie in two strips of the leg material so that approximately 1-inch of each strip extends beyond the bend (Tails) and 1-inch of each strip extends beyond the eye (antenna).
- Wrap the shank with the appropriate size lead wire.
- One-Quarter of the hook length behind the eye, tie in the legs - three on each side. Bring the thread to the end of the shank.
- Tie on the body material; bring the thread forward to the eye. Wrap the body material forward being sure to wrap the body material between the legs to separate them. Tie off the body material.
- Whip finish and cement the head.